Friday 16 March 2012

Best Of British Contemporary Jewellery Interview with Jessica Sherriff

Jessica Sherriff (Jessica Jewellery) creates an original range of stunning contemporary acrylic jewellery which is all individually designed and handmade in North Yorkshire. Jessica is taking part in Equinox's Best of British Jewellery Exhibition.





1. How did you become involved in jewellery design?
Always loved jewellery and accessories but I really got thinking about jewellery design on my foundation course at York College.  From there I looked to do a degree in jewellery, studying at Middlesex University gave me the opportunity to make jewellery from a wide variety of materials and acrylic was a material I particularly enjoyed so continued with it. 

2. How would you describe your jewellery? 
Contemporary, designed and handmade jewellery 

3. Whose jewellery do you admire?
I admire other jewellers who work in alternative materials such as Sarah Packington, Lesley Strickland, Kathie Murphy 

4. Which of your designs/collections are you most proud?
(A picture would be good if possible.)
 I always seem to be most proud of my newest designs as I've pushed myself and created something I didn't know I had in me to make.....My most recent range Optical is an example of this image DSCF2621 - double pendant from the optical range.

5. What advice would you give to aspiring jewellery designers?
Don't be put off if you are trying something different, listen to all feedback and learn from that, and just try and get your work seen. 

6. What does the future hold for your company?
I hope to continue to supply shops and galleries across the uk, and continue taking part in relevant exhibitions and to keep producing new work.

7. Do you undertake commission's, what sort of thing have you been commissioned to make?
I do make custom pieces and have made items to order using customers own photographs.

8. Has your jewellery won any awards? 
Yes I won the International Jewellery London, Editors Choice award for technical excellence in 2010 

You can see Jessica's jewellery at Equinox, Fleet, Hampshire, until Mid April or visit her website: http://www.jessicajewellerydesign.co.uk/

1 comment: